Monday, October 13, 2014

Hooray for Hollywood

If you (were tired of baseball and football and) went to the movies over the past weekend, you might have joined the queue at the Mall-O-Plex 3D 47 and taken in "Gone Girl," the thriller that Ben Affleck made before filming of "Gigli 2" begins in November.

I was beyond excited when I heard that they were making a movie about "Gone Girl," because if you click on the link, you might recall that as a song done by Tompall and the Glaser Brothers back in the day.  I thought it was a shame that Tompall Glaser himself didn't live long enough to see his song turned into a movie with not only Affleck, but a supporting cast that includes Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry, and Carrie Coon...in other words, box-office magic!

Yes, this is in my basement
The magic died shortly after I heard about the moon pitcha, because someone brought me up short and also set me straight. The movie turns out to be a thriller based on a novel that Gillian Flynn wrote in 2012.  I still think there could be a movie based on the Glaser Brothers, three guys from Nebraska (Tompall, Chuck and Jim Glaser) who came to Nashville and showed a lot of people the way to develop the music publishing and record production businesses and some wonderful three-part harmony.  Unlike most country stars, they had real business minds, and also unlike most country stars, they were not very friendly toward their fans, which meant they didn't have a lot of fans after all.

E. Tubb

And this was not the first time that Hollywood faked me out, with a misleading title making me think they were finally producing a great country music movie! Imagine how I felt when I heard about a film called "ET"!  I was sure it was about Ernest Tubb.  Look how wrong I can be!

E. Terrestrial

No comments: