Friday, October 31, 2014

10 thoughts, and Happy Hallowe'en!

I got one of those challenges in which I was challenged to list 10 thoughts.  I don't question these things.

1. I wonder how hard it is for some people to pass up such challenges.

2. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who look forward to attending high school reunions, and those who would sooner have a colonoscopy without proper anesthesia than attend one.  Look for me in group "A" - our class of 1969, Towson High School, will reunite on Saturday, November 15.  I can't wait.

3. I'm a little wary of things that purport to be "healthier" for us and really might not be...such as turkey bacon and turkey sausage, which make up for the utter tastelessness of turkey by dumping a ton of salt into the mix.  Margarine and "I Can't Believe You Want Me To Put This On My Muffin" type of spreads are a chemical nightmare. I'll ride the pork and real butter train, please. Everything in moderation!

4. Peggy and I were stunned to go to the early voting last Saturday and waltz in and out with absolutely no delay.  I don't know what kind of turnout to expect on Election Day itself, but I do know that people who make a big thing of patriotism and rah-rah Americana and then don't even bother to vote - no matter how much they think that no one is worth their vote - are just giving their votes to others.  Just vote!  Write in another candidate's name if you must, but don't just skip it.

5.  We didn't really "waltz" in and out.  I don't dance well at all, except for those moments when my wet feet hit the tiled bathroom floor and I skid into the wall like a member of Holiday On Ice or Dance Fever.  I do enjoy watching others who can, dance.  I just lack the talent.  Some people are born to dance and some are born to watch.

6.  Speaking of groups of people - I once heard that all of us fit into one of four groups: those who know, and don't know they know...those who know, and know they know...those who don't know, and know they don't know...and those who don't know and don't know they don't know.  That last group is the most dangerous, so they say.

7. I know what I know and I know what I don't know.  Which is why you will not see me dance, attempt to perform a nephrectomy (surgical removal of a kidney) or attempt any repair better left to a trained electrician, plumber, or surgeon.

8.  Three of the founding dinosaurs of rock 'n' roll - Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard - remain with us to this day, but this of course cannot be permanent. We who love our rock and/or roll owe them so much, yet we don't take time to honor them while they're still living. Once they're gone, the tributes will flow and Brian Williams will look sad reading the story and people will say, "Oh! I've been into him for years!" but now is the time to say, thank you, Mr Berry, Mr Lewis, and Mr Penniman for giving us a way to avoid hearing dreck music by giving us this and this and this.    You'll notice in the Chuck Berry video that he does a step he called the Duck Walk.  There is nothing new under the sun.

9.  Amanda Bynes was a talented young actress.  We enjoyed her on TV and in the remake of "Hairspray."  Once again, it seems that she is battling mental illness and is back in a hospital for treatment. You can be rich, attractive, talented or famous.  It doesn't matter. So many among us have the fight to deal with.

10. I would really like for someone to explain to me how there is joy or fun or satisfaction in playing these Candy Crush games and other games of the sort.  I don't see as many people playing them as before, but when they do, it always seems to involve frustration and stress.  Don't we get enough of that without asking for more?





No comments: