Friday, September 12, 2014

I might just change my name to "Buster Move"

Many times, people ask me what's the secret of the long and happy marriage that Peggy and I have enjoyed since gas cost a quarter. It's the little things; we don't need to traipse all over the globe to find the amusement we get just from moments like our early morning discussions of "Who did the better version of 'Rock 'n' Roll Dreams Come Through' ?"  Enjoy the Jim Steinman version, or order the Meat Loaf; you can't go wrong.  

Peggy is the one of us who delights in nature and all its wonders; I would much rather read about flowers and birds and bees and the like than have bees and tree limbs land on me, but that's the glory of life and love if you take it easy long enough  - you get to take your choice and enjoy it.

Johnny Burke, 1908 - 1964
It seems to me that a lot of people who shuffle off this mortal coil at early ages were finished their work in time to punch out before the others. Take a man named Johnny Burke, a lyricist who teamed with several composers to write songs such as "You're Not the Only Oyster in the Stew" for Fats Waller, "Swingin' On a Star" for Bing Crosby, and "It Could Happen To You," which was done by dozens, including Diana Krall

Burke only lived to be 56, and if you're 16, that seems like a pretty ripe old age, but let me assure you, it isn't.  At any age, it's good to stop and appreciate the gifts of life, gifts that Burke used his gifts of words to describe in "Aren't You Glad You're You?"


Every time you're near a rose
Aren't you glad you've got a nose
And if the dawn is fresh with dew
Aren't you glad you're you?

When a meadowlark appears
Aren't you glad you've got two ears
And if your heart is singin' too
Aren't you glad you're you?

You can see a summer sky
Or touch a friendly hand
Or taste an apple pie
Pardon the grammar, but ain't life grand

And when you wake up each morn
Aren't you glad that you were born
Think what you've got the whole day through
Aren't you glad you're you?


Burke wrote this before anyone thought of challenging their friends to list the things for which they were grateful.  I am grateful for almost every song that has delighted my ears and eyes, to tell you the truth.  When I hear a favorite song, I song along, I smile, I guffaw, and I holler "Whoomp There It Is!"





No comments: